When you need a storage unit for your personal belongings, whether short or long-term, it is essential that you choose the right storage facility. That way, you have a choice of different storage solutions based on the type and size of your possessions. It is also important to know the best methods for keeping your items protected.
Especially when storing fragile items, not only is it important to consider the right storage solutions, but you should also know the appropriate way to protect them. Using the following tips provided, you will feel confident that your possessions are safe and secure.
- Climate-Controlled Unit – A climate-controlled unit is one of the best storage solutions for fragile items. Unlike standard units with walls exposed to the outside, these units are inside of a building. Also, the temperature and humidity inside this type of unit are appropriately maintained, making it perfect for wooden furniture, CDs and DVDs, electronics, artwork, family heirlooms, and so on.
- Wrapping Your Possessions – Even when renting a climate-controlled unit, you want to wrap your goods for added protection. As for the right type of material, this depends on your items.
- China – For delicate china, wrap each piece in bubble wrap. However, for added protection, place pieces of old newspapers in between cups, plates, and bowls to prevent them from rubbing together.
- Large Fragile Pieces – When storing large breakables such as mirrors, statues, artwork, and so on, take advantage of old blankets and comforters. Also, rather than lay these items down, always store them upright.
- Furniture – Especially for furniture made of wood, pieces with hand woven upholstery, and expensive items, make sure that you cover them. Regardless of which storage solutions you consider, whether a climate-controlled or standard unit, covering your furniture with old but clean sheets or fabric drop cloths will protect them from dust and dirt. When wrapping furniture, be sure that you cover each piece completely. In fact, to prevent gaps, secure the material using strong tape.
Fabrics – Even certain fabrics such as silk, linen, and velvet, among others, are susceptible to damage while being stored. Therefore, take special precautions with delicate fabric. Along with wrapping the items using a particular kind of paper, store them inside of a protective box. When storing a wedding dress, evening gowns, or other high-end fabrics, you should seriously consider a climate-controlled unit. That way, you never have to worry about damage caused by mold or mildew or yellowing.
Published at Fri, 18 Aug 2017 16:44:15 +0000